Thursday, May 15, 2014

Until 20 - Teaser of the Independent Film

+JMJ

So borrowing the "google" phrase of "genius hour", our class is actually doing an "expert week". Students research important topics, type out presentations and present to the class. Their peers will be giving them their last grade of the year.

So how does a teacher even begin? Model, model, model. Since this is the first time I've had 5th graders in some years, a teacher must be able to model how to research, how to type out information and even present. In doing so, while I picked my own topic to model, I want my students to come away with something more than just using technology. I want them to inspire their classmates, raise awareness and most of all, feel the need to take action.

If teachers are so wrapped up in just the mechanics, we lose great opportunities to help mold children to become their very best. My topic? Orphan Cancers and the founder of Triumph Over Kid Cancer, James Ragan. Please think about donating to such a worthwhile cause by sending a check or through paypal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I'm going to add it to my 7th grade SS curriculum. I may do it at the end of each grading period as a review!